Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tsumami Kanzashi (Folded fabric flower)

learnhowtomakefabricflowers.com
? Did you know that artisans undergo
5-10 years of learning the art of flower
folding! 
Tsumami Kanzashi or folded fabric hair ornament was worn by Japanese Geisha's. These fabric flowers were usually worn with other hair ornaments according to Wikipedia.
Originally they were 1" pieces of fabric which made up one petal. After creating maybe up to 75 and some how combining them together. 
I bet these were beautiful to look at. I know I would be staring at the beautiful creation of the Tsumami Kanzashi flower.


There are several different types of Kanzashi. In fact there are 7 different types. But the one that you make with fabric and turn into a beautiful fabric flower would be the Tsumami Kanzashi. 


Over my time in making fabric flowers. I am not able to say I am a professional Kanzashi flower folder. The one part that always stumps me is trying to string the petals together. I'd say that alone is an art worth learning.
So I will probably continue to try and get it right. Find the right way to do. Otherwise forever be non Kanzashi flower folder.


What do you think? Can you fold the Tsumami Kanzashi? 
How difficult do you think it would be? Here's hoping I master the art of Tsumami Kanzashi.


Livy.

No comments:

Post a Comment